Skincare Benefits of Lavender Oil
Well known for its floral and fragrant scent, and for its common use in relaxation bath and bedtime products, lavender oil is a super-ingredient in the skincare industry - and is one of our favourite ingredients across many of our organic daily products.
With that said, what are the benefits of lavender oil and how can you easily and effectively introduce it to your skincare routine?
The Benefits of Lavender Oil
Lavender oil, also known as lavandula angustifolia oil, is derived from the lavender plant and is used as a key ingredient in many skincare products, aromatherapy products and haircare products.
Some of the key benefits of lavender oil include:
• Bacteria killing properties, which make lavender oil a great ingredient in the fight against acne. This is because the lavender can unclog the pores and reduce inflammation on the skin, helping to combat the cause of acne and minimise the effects of it on the skin.
• Antifungal properties which soothe eczema and other itchy skin conditions. In this instance, consider using one of our organic lavender oil infused products in the bath or shower, and then apply lavender oil to dry skin after bathing, mixed with a small amount of tea tree oil and coconut oil to create a soothing salve for the skin. Lavender oil can also be a great lip salve for dry and cracked lips, especially during the winter months.
• Lessens redness on the skin.
• Reduce discolouration and lighten dark spots on the skin. Lavender oil has also been linked with helping fight the signs of hyperpigmentation.
• Lavender oil is packed full of antioxidants, which are great for protecting the skin against free radicals and fighting the signs of aging.
• Anti-inflammatory properties for injuries and wounds.
• Lavender oil acts as a natural detoxifying product for the skin, helping our skin to stave off environmental toxins and daily stressors. This links not only to the physical properties of lavender oil but also to its ability to promote a relaxed mind and a good night’s sleep.
All of these benefits are linked with lavender oil, both used as a standalone essential oil and when mixed with other natural and organic ingredients such as coconut oil, tea tree oil, or aloe vera oil.
And that’s not all. Lavender oil has also been linked to a series of mental and psychological benefits, including enhanced relaxation, an improvement in mood, and soothing of sore muscles and stiff joints.
How to Introduce Lavender Oil into your Skincare Routine
Lavender oil (lavandula angustifolia oil) is one of our widely used ingredients - not only because of its benefits for the skin and the natural healing properties it offers to our products, but also because of the luxurious and opulent scent that lavender naturally injects into any product it’s used in.
Some of our most popular lavender oil infused products include:
• Organic moisturising lotion - a blend of soft and soothing natural ingredients which not only soothe the skin but protect it against the toxins and wear and tear of daily life.
• Organic shampoo and body wash - infused with both lavender oil and chamomile for a powerhouse of essential oils and skin-friendly properties.
• Organic bubble bath - relaxing, sensitive-skin friendly, and healing for dry and cracked skin.
All of these products are designed to be used on the most sensitive skin and include ingredients which are derived from organic and natural substances.
If you’re looking to add lavender oil to your skincare routine, we recommend first using the ingredient sparingly and mixed with another ingredient such as coconut oil - as directly applying undiluted lavender oil to the skin can cause irritation. When you mix lavender oil with another ingredient, this is known as a carrier oil which allows your skin to benefit from the goodness of the lavender essential oil but in a smaller and more manageable dose for optimum safety.
Alternatively, and if you are more confident in using lavender oil, small amounts can be applied to pressure and pulse points around the body to help soothe and relax the muscles and improve your mindset.